Friday, June 10, 2011

Where are your prepositions at?

Where are you going to?  Where is it at?  Where did you get it from?  Can you dangle your prepositions??
Tanner and our friend and I have a crazy inside joke about dangling prepositions.  I'm not totally sure how it originated, besides me and Tanner being grammar Nazis sometimes.  It's true some (like "Where are you at?") are grammatically incorrect because they are unnecessary, but others are perfectly fine, like "Where is he from?" or "What did you step on?" "Which one are you talking about?"  because they are needed for the sentence to make sense.  Thing is, this inside joke has gone so far that even the ones that are perfectly fine are mocked incessantly.  I don't know if we will ever be freed from the grasp of these crazy 49 English words that single-handedly make up one of the 8 parts of speech.
PS- Did you know it was in fact a woman who organized every single word in our language into one of only 8 groups? Cool, huh? :)

1 comment:

  1. Wow ... I can never figure out where you get your wisdom and knowledge from! It's very impressive ... And never ceases to amaze me at how you bedazzle the world with these words that you write in the blog that you write on. I mean that's what's life is for! Inside jokes and friends that you can have fun with! Keep this up young lady :-)

    ReplyDelete